What is The Haunting Event?
The Haunting event may be one of the MOST popular events out of any other Call of Duty event that runs during the year. If you can recall to when they first introduced the event back in the Modern Warfare (2019) post launch cycle, people seemed to have a great time on the game.
During the event you could complete challenges to earn Halloween themed cosmetics in game to use inside of Call of Duty: Warzone & Modern Warfare. The Haunting event wasn’t just limited to cosmetics, they also added LTM’s (Limited Time Modes) to the game.
Now that you have a basic understanding of what The Haunting event is, let’s go over EVERYTHING coming to The Haunting event in Call of Duty: Warzone & Black Ops Cold War which will begin on October 19th.
Limited-Time Operators & More
The Haunting event will feature multiple Halloween themed limited-time operators, operator skins and weapon blueprints to the store.
- Scream Operator Bundle – Limited-Time on October 19th
- Donnie Darko Operator Bundle – Limited-Time on October 24th
- Necro Queen Reactive Mastercraft – Halloween Week on October 26th
- Disciple of Mayhem Ultra Bundle – Halloween Week on Unknown Date
- Lumens Maxis Ultra Bundle – Halloween Week on Unknown Date
- Terrible End Bundle – LAPA SMG Blueprint on October 19th
The Ghosts of Verdansk LTM – Warzone
The Haunting event will feature a brand new LTM (Limited Time Mode) called “The Ghosts of Verdansk” which will stay till the haunting event is over. This mode is for those who want to set aside traditional competition for a true test of resolve amid fear.
A familiar voice will also “guide” you and the squad through this mode, but he may not be the most helpful or friendly face behind the radio… or phone, for that matter.
How The Mode Works
- Deploy into a night version of Verdansk
- Gulag is disabled, instead you turn into a ghost
- Get kills as a ghost to obtain souls
- Collect souls to come back to life
- Keep your FEAR in check
- Be the team with the LAST operator alive
The Ghosts Mechanics
- Super Jump: charge up and “leap” through the air. Also can float and glide following a jump or a drop from any high distance
- Teleport: teleport a short distance to help immediately close gaps between them and living Operators
- Spectral Blast: stun attack slows down Operators and disables vehicles
- Swipe Attack: deal damage to an operator is to use your swipe attack
- Respawning: collecting 3 souls or performing a finisher move
The “Fear” Mechanic
Ghosts of Verdansk also introduces a new meter known as Fear, located on the bottom left portion of the HUD. This meter ranges from 0 to 100 points, and every Operator starts as a fearless warrior with zero points of Fear.
Fear increases naturally over time and when the following events happen:
- Being shot at, being hit by enemy Equipment, or having their Killstreaks in the area
- Camping (AKA cowardice)
- Seeing dead bodies or Ghosts
- Having squadmates downed or eliminated
Outside of experiencing a hallucination, Fear also decreases when the following happens:
- Eliminating a player or Ghost
- Reviving a squadmate
- Completing a Contract
- Remaining within Sacred Ground… so long as it stays intact
Keep your fear in check and ensure one of your squadmates is left as an Operator to win Ghosts of Verdansk, which is one of the key challenges needed to unlock the LAPA through the Warzone challenge set.
Coming to Black Ops Cold War
The classic Black Ops map receives a new Halloween makeover in Black Ops Cold War, just in time for spooky season.
Whether you play the limited-time modes or your squad’s usual foray into Team Deathmatch, Domination, and others, Nuketown Halloween is temporarily a hallowed haven for The Haunting.
Note the shift from day to night, the pumpkin-faced clock, and the many themed decorations and props littering the grounds… which you might want to familiarize yourself with before diving into the new limited-time modes. Players can also call in some Scare Packages for some frightful rewards!
Limited Time Modes (LTMs)
The Haunting will include three limited-time Multiplayer modes during the Halloween season:
- Infected. Just in time for the dead to rise again. Eighteen Operators enter, and the Zombie team attempts to turn the Survivors undead. The remaining Survivors win if they beat the clock, or the Zombies win if they turn every Survivor! In a new twist, Survivors will earn a bonus with each zombie they kill: specifically, bonuses to reload speed, ADS speed, movement speed, and slide speed.
- Prop Hunt Halloween. This new themed Prop Hunt will see player-controlled skulls, jack-o’-lanterns, black cats, bats, skeletons, and more try to hide from the Hunters in the Nuketown Halloween map.
- Scream Deathmatch. In this brand-new mode, two Operators will each become Ghostface with a single mission: find and eliminate all Survivors. The Survivors will have no weapons, so it’s best to find a cozy hiding spot to try and survive the mayhem. Throughout the match, screams of the Survivors will give away their position as the killers close in on their locations. The endgame is like any good horror movie: the killers slash up every Survivor, or a final brave soul rises above to defeat the evildoers.
Coming to Cold War Zombies
Hallows’ Eve Outbreak
Zombies fans just received a new round-based map with “Forsaken,” and now players will face a new epic challenge in Outbreak as part of The Haunting, in addition to some new tricks and treats across Zombies modes.
In Hallows’ Eve Outbreak, you’ll need to survive for 10 minutes and exfiltrate from a single Region. Your squad even gets to choose between two random Regions before infiltration, and there’s a World Event that can give a massive boost to your Loadout.
The trick is surviving.
Every two minutes, the difficulty of the Region will increase, meaning that more zombies — increasing both in quantity and difficulty — will roll in and increase in health. When the ten-minute time limit is reached, the exfil point will spawn at the farthest possible position from the squad, and the maximum number of zombies will have full awareness on your position.
Also, that World Event? It’s the Orda, the hulking monstrosity that can squad wipe with just a single swipe.
This is why The Haunting challenge for this mode is called “You’ll Never Get Out Alive.” You’ll need to be an elite Requiem agent to exfil successfully, but if you do, that Legendary Weapon Charm and mountain of XP will be worth it. This mode is also a great opportunity to harvest any remaining Aetherium Crystals you’ll need to max out your Skill Tiers in Zombies!
Zombies Halloween Updates
In addition to Hallows’ Eve Outbreak, Scare Packages containing high-value rewards will spawn every five rounds in round-based maps, and in every Outbreak Region. Zombies will have a small chance of dropping the new Jack O’Lantern item for additional rewards, including Wonder Weapons, Support Weapons, Ammo Mods, Chalices, Aether Tools, and high-level Armor… but beware, things may not always be as they seem.
Treyarch is also changing up the in-game music with some fun Halloween tunes, and enemies with pumpkin heads will appear in all Zombies modes! These weak points have low health, and can be shot off for bonus points. Aim high and rack up the Essence.
Sources: Call of Duty Blog